Friday, July 25, 2008

Plans for 2008-2009

Ahhh...school plans! I have most of my materials...some of this and a little of that. It'll be very different from last year where I simply used all Abeka materials. I knew I definitely wanted to make changes, but I keep second guessing myself and the choices I've currently made. If these choices don't work, then I can change again...

Here goes for what I've decided so far...I think...

FOR ELIJAH (1st Grade):

Language Arts:
Phonics: Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading & Explode the Code series
Grammar: First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind
Handwriting: A Reason for Handwriting
Spelling: Building Spelling Skills
Reading: Family Read-Alouds, Independent Reading time, Books on CD

Math:
Saxon 1

Science:
Christian Kids Explore Biology

History:
The Mystery of History (or The Story of the World)
The Bible

Bible:
Various - daily family devotionals, character trait studies, verse memorization

Physical Education:
Various - swim lessons, outdoor play, bike riding, maybe Karate, maybe learn to skate program for Ice Hockey, bowling, family walks and games

Art:
How to Teach Art to Children, Charity LEAH classes

Music:
Various - Continuing Education classes, Charity LEAH classes

Miscellaneous:
Sign Language - Signing Time DVDs, library books

I'm a little nervous to put all this together, but, each of these curriculum choices are laid out well for parental use and instruction. I just need to come up with a daily plan spread sheet...working on that in Microsoft Excel. I worry that I'll have too much overlap with Language Arts, but time will tell. What I know for sure is that I want Elijah (and Luke & Isaac) to enjoy this process of learning - I want to foster an internal desire to learn more. I want lots of hands-on learning. I want to read lots and lots and lots...and lots more. But mostly, I want to enjoy the opportunity to deepen my relationships with my boys and make the most of every day I have with them. When those relationships are strong, then I can impact their hearts to turn toward Christ and the salvation we can find only in Him. Any other pursuit, educational or otherwise, pales in comparison to this task.

2 comments:

carole said...

Wow! We have a lot of similar goals. Hey - are you getting your ideas from Heidi? :) (I certainly am!)

Tarah said...

I hope that someday, when my girls are at school ages, I can be half the homeschool mom that you are. It intimidates me and excites me at the same time, but I can't think about it for too long or I get overwhelmed. What a BIG job!! Also, I've known people who plan to do it and then choose not to when the kids are that age. i don't want to do that, but I have a few years.